Proverbs 14:14 NKJV
“The backslider in heart will be filled with his own ways, But a good man will be satisfied from above.”
The word backsliding, backslider or lukewarm appeared few times in the entire bible. As a matter of fact, it is such a handful that in today’s devotional, I will make you readers see God’s heart towards backsliding. It is the deceit of the devil to convince a person that God is not able, capable and needed for everything. This is the same usurp Satan pushes that lead to his doom. To backslide is to let go of God in some areas of ones life, reject His counsel, and die.
When a person backslides, he/she leaves the pattern of what is good on a regular basis for evil regardless how irregular it occurs. He becomes a lukewarm person.
In the scripture, backslider have returned to what he/she used to do, but with caution of those who knows him/her, and presents an attitude of doing the right thing. Most backsliders are pretenders, hypocrites and overwhelmed by demonic spirits. The only way out is to repent again! “As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly. Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.” (Proverbs 26:11-12). A backslider is a faithless fool that does not believe in the faithfulness of God. He chose the bliss of the ‘while now’, against the fullness of God’s eternal blessings.
God hates an unrepentant backslider, and warns those that choose anything else but Him. As some play in-between… a little here, a little there, God loves those that are faithful (Psalm 85:11). He warned, “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth” (Revelation 3:16). Backsliders are lukewarm Christians. They read, know, and even have witnessed the goodness of God, but are tricked by the devil to believe that God will ignore sin!
In some of today’s churches, hypocrites are all over the place; gay pastors, lesbian deacons, drug dealing elders, prostitute choir leader, alcoholic usher, fornicating congregations, speaking in tongue occultists, adulterous deacons and many more! Funny, yet true!
Since Satan is the master of deceit, he captures the mind of these people, give them counterfeit gifts (2 Corinthians 11:13-15), and plant them in living churches. A backslider is a double agent, fronting God, but representing Satan. He is a wolf in sheep clothing (John 10:12). Since he/she carries a different spirit other than that of Christ, they act, live and focus differently. In most cases, they oppose anything good that will promote the well-being of the Kingdom of God – the Church. Backsliders can easily justify themselves only to stay in their comfort sinful zone. Their popular scripture verse is Matthew 7:1! But the truth is that someone will get hurt in the end. Other identifying characters include moving from one church to the other, then blame the leaders, especially the pastor. The fact is that they are easily offended by any scriptural preaching that addresses their lifestyle the Gospel. In today’s manners, they have their own churches where everybody and everything is permissible! What?!!! When did this become cool?
Follow closely with these scripture verses, they are facts and life saving. God is interested in your case and if you are interested in changes, you will get wisdom. Do not take anything for granted. Re-evaluate yourself, and make the changes necessary to save your soul.
1. “…Hast thou seen that which backsliding Israel (Christian) hath done? she is gone up upon every high mountain and under every green tree, and there hath played the harlot.” (Jeremiah 3:6). A backslider is unstable. They are not serving God faithfully, and any religion, doctrines or practice is allowed! No way!! You must be certain of your belief, and the rewards it brings. Black or White, NO GRAY! Followers of Jesus Christ will be with Christ in Heaven.
2. “And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce;” (Jeremiah 3:8). Backsliders are not mindful of their sins. Do you relate to this? They justify their evil ways, and stick with their lustful desires. If they do not repent, God will judge them, and with eternal separation, Hell is the final destination.
3. “And the Lord said unto me, The backsliding Israel (christians) hath justified herself more than treacherous Judah (pagans).” (Jeremiah 3:11). A backslider is living a reprobate life. To them, every thing is good! God understands, they consoles themselves. But remember this people, “For I am the Lord, I change not; …” (Malachi 3:6).
4. “Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the Lord; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever.” (Jeremiah 3:12). God wants me to refocus your attention to those sins you have encouraged yourself to do. If you repent, God promises salvation. Amen.
5. “Turn, O backsliding children, saith the Lord; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:” (Jeremiah 3:14). God wants reconciliation, relationship and your wellness, but you have to make the move towards Him. Are you willing to do this?
6. ” I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.” (Hosea 14:4). God wants you healed of your backsliding. Stop those excuses; oh, it is from my father! I can’t help it!! My friends are going through the same thing!!! Etc. Remember, You are the one that will be judged. The death of Christ has done it for you, and all you need to do is believe, and become a child of God (John 1:12).
As grace was poured on the Cross, Christ said, “It is finished” (John 19:30). This word should encourage you to “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.” (Galatians 5:1) God bless you. Amen.
Scripture of the day: No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. ~ 1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV
From Pastor Peter Okereke Jr.
TLWMI. Copyright Reserved, 2011.
(must be used with written permission)
~SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG~