“Let my prayer come before You; Incline Your ear to my cry. I am counted with those who go down to the pit; I am like a man who has no strength, Adrift among the dead, Like the slain who lie in the grave, Whom You remember no more, And who are cut off from Your hand. You have laid me in the lowest pit, In darkness, in the depths.”
Are you suffering from depression? Bi-polar disease? Or mental sickness? Even David, the King after God’s own heart was depressed! And so it inches around us daily.
Biblically speaking, Depression is not a disease, it is the overwhelming vacuum in any man/ woman yearning for the filling of the spirit of God. Unfortunately, many have been diagnosed, resulting in an over doped up society, which is not a cure for spiritual sickness.
Most depression is caused by sin, an overflow of demonic spirit. Oftentimes, it starts with the individual feeling guilty, ashamed, gloomy, bi-polar, timid, condemned and rejected. The next stage is anger, blaming people and isolation. Listen, the devil lies about everything, including being the accuser of the brethen… Also, he lies that God is not able to accept us back after we sinned. lies!!! Mastering God by His words is the key to all spiritual healing. You have to study it, fit it into your vacuum, and then apply it in the areas you find yourself.
Instances in the Bible have shown that whenever God is outside any man, He is just not right! Only God can fit within that vacuum. Trying everything available to man failed. When God left King Saul, the psalms of violin by David soothed and calmed him. Saul healed. When David lied, sinned, killed and was dejected, he pleaded with God not to “take away His Holy Spirit ” from him. This is proof that without the Spirit of God, we all will fall into a deep loom of depression.
Most times, we get depressed whenever we choose to do otherwise against what is right. We get even more depressed whenever we seek a different cure other than God and God alone.
Cain was depressed after he killed Abel, Peter was depressed after he left the Lord’s commission to win souls, Judas became very depressed after betraying Jesus Christ that he hung himself. Herod died, eaten up by maggots, King Nebucchadenazzer was messed up, eating with the wild beasts. So depression is no respecter of anyone, it is the evil prevalent, and should be expected as a Christian.
Sometimes, it comes as the devil mounts his barrage of accusations against us, or when we begin to see ourselves as failures, unequal to other ‘super Apostles’, not fulfilled in what we are aspiring for. Many other reasons can open a door for depression, but the things to watch out for are those that judge and accuse you. Avoid them as much as you can, and make newer friends from within a Living Church. Volunteer your time to serve others, and God will give you peace, joy and favor.
This is KEY…
2. “Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded” (James 4:7, 8 NIV).
3. “I cried unto the Lord with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah. I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the Lord sustained me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about” (Psalm 3:4-6 KJV). It is only the Lord that can sustain you.
4. “Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved” (Psalm 55:22 KJV). God does not lie, if you take Him by His word, your depression will flee.
5. “Ho! Everyone who thirsts, Ho! Everyone who thirsts, Come to the waters; And you who have no money, Come, buy and eat. Yes, come, buy wine and milk Without money and without price. Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And let your soul delight itself in abundance. Incline your ear, and come to Me. Hear, and your soul shall live; And I will make an everlasting covenant with you The sure mercies of David” (Isaiah 55:1-3 NKJV). Walking with the Lord in obedience heals all manner of diseases.
6. “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me” (Psalm 23:4 NKJV).
God Bless you as you take your life back.
Scripture of the day: Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. Psalm 143:8 NIV
Pastor Peter Okereke Jr.
TLWMI. Copyright Reserved, 2011.
(must use with a written permission)
~SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG~