Is it not plain there is no serving two such masters? If you love one, you must hate the other; if you cleave to the one, you must despise the other. You cannot serve God and Mammon. (Matthew 6:24)
You serve a jealous God(Exodus 34:14), so be very careful not to provoke him to jealousy. Every idol must be cast down, and the Lord must be before all things in our worship, or His comfortable presence cannot be enjoyed. One’s ultimate loyalty must converge at a single point. To try to go two ways at once, will tear a person apart. Remember Jesus words to Martha…”Only one thing is necessary…”(Luke 10:42)
It is not wrong to own a big house, a summer-house, nice clothes, fine jewelry, a yacht, or any other marks of success in this modern life. None of these things are inherently evil. However, when those THINGS start to own you…well, you have just identified your idol, your god. Yet, all these things can be enjoyed as long as you understand that everything you have belongs to God, and the things you have are only temporarily loaned to you by the Lord to fulfill His purpose.
So how do you know when something “owns” you?
1. When you need that “THING” as a major source of happiness or fulfillment in your life.
2. When you cannot imagine living without that ” THING”
3. When you get angry at the thought of losing that “THING”.
4. When that possession is the first thing you think about in the morning and the last thing you think about at night.
5. When you find yourself thinking about that “THING” in every spare moment.
6. When you are gripped with fear at the thought of losing that “THING”
7. When you find yourself bringing that “THING” up in every conversation.
8. When you get upset when someone else touches or comes near that “THING”.
9. When you plan your schedule around that “THING”.
10. When you enjoy that “THING” more than being with family and friends.
11. When others warn you about your attachment to your possession.
12. When worries and concerns about that “THING” crowd out the joy in your life.
When you know deep in your soul that something you own has started to own you, give it away! Find someone who needs it and give it to him or her. Don’t make a big deal about it, just give it away! Doing so will free you and your heart will sing again. Matthew put it this way… “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”(Matthew 6:19-21)
By Pastor Peter Okereke Jr.
The Living Word Ministries